Important Information for our Skanda Yoga Retreat 2012« Back to Trip Overview
Cafe Sumaya, the villa’s jewel of a restaurant, has a stunning view of the lake and offers a culinary-conscious menu for slow food aficionados and eco-epicureans. A vegetarian based eclectic blend of local and international cuisine, created from Guatemala’s cornucopia of fruit and vegetables.
They also serve chicken and fish upon request (there is an extra charge for this ~$7.00 per meal). Baked goods are produced daily. The scent of fresh bread and tortillas is utterly intoxicating! Their new juice bar may tempt you to try their delicious raw cacao bliss balls or a ginger kombucha tea or one of their tropical smoothies.
- All vegetarian meals as indicated on our itinerary (you can order a portion of chicken or fish with your meal at a slight extra charge).
- Seven nights at the Villa Sumaya your choice of single, double, or triple occupancy.
- All spiritual teachings, and yoga classes with Ken and Lina.
- Tour of the Santa Cruz pueblo by the Amigos de Santa Cruz.
- An Eco-Sumaya tour.
- Visit to the local artisans market.
- Ceremonies with a local Shaman
- Personal items such as phone calls, laundering services (~$3.00 USD a pound.) and souvenir shopping!
- Your round-trip air flight to and from Guatemala City, and your bus or boat ride to and from Villa Sumaya are not-included.
- Bring cash for tipping the amazing staff! We recommend between ~$35-50.00 USD per person which is divided among the entire staff.
- Additional cash for the fabulous massage services, watsu, body treatments, healing energy treatments and optional tours. (These sessions are 1 to 2 hours in length and priced at ~$55 for 1 hour, ~$75 for 1 1/2 hours, and ~$95 for 2 hours. There are a few services that do not fall within these rates.)
Optional Tours (not-included in our itinerary):
Tour of Santiago (the largest village on the lake) -This is a very popular tour, offering a rare and fascinating insight into this very proud and independent village and the life of the modern Maya who inhabit this region.
Tour of San Juan – The lake’s most progressive and eco-conscious pueblo. Interesting and different handicrafts are available in this unique village. Highly recommended by the Villa Sumaya staff.
Trip to Chi Chi Castenango Market – Visit one of Guatemala’s most famous market places known for its many colors and brightly dressed Quiche Mayan Indigenous.
Climb Volcano San Pedro – For those participants who love adventure, this climb to the top of Volcano San Pedro is spectacular.
How To Get to Lake Atitlan, Guatemala:
You must arrive at the Guatemala City International Airport by 3:00pm to be able to make it to the retreat center by dinner time. You will be taking a bus and then a boat to the retreat center – it’s a bit of an adventure! Villa Sumaya is located on the shores of Lake Atitlan, Guatemala near the village of Santa Cruz La Laguna. The Villa is only is only accessible by boat – 10 minute ride from Panajachel, which is a 3 hour drive from the airport in Guatemala City. We can help you arrange transportation to and from the airport by private mini bus. Cost depends on number of people in van. It can range from $80 (private) to $25 per person for shared shuttle (4 or more). We can also arrange for a boat pick up from Panajachel (where airport shuttle drops off). Private boats fees are $17 -$30 depending upon the number of passengers.
Feel free to make your own flights, but please confirm them with us before booking. If you need help – no worries, Ales in Custom Travel is our travel guru – feel free to ring him at: 604-204-0444, 866-866-5566 or email him and it will be his pleasure to assist you!
Keep in Mind:
The actual schedule of spiritual teachings and what we will be doing day to day is not published so we can be in the moment. Every day will be a magical experience for all of us, so keep your heart and mind open to the experience life brings us. Due to the remote areas we are traveling to, weather, bad roads and other unseen obstacles may cause us to make changes in our itinerary.