Important Information for our Dharamsala Retreat« Back to Trip Overview
This meditation retreat is based on the Tibetan Mahayana tradition. It is held at the Tushita Buddhist Center in McLeod Ganj that was established in 1973 and has an international reputation for its Introduction to Buddhism course which is equally applicable to beginners and people with some knowledge of Buddhism. It is taught by experienced Western and Tibetan teachers who explore Tibetan Buddhist philosophy and meditation with a modern twist on it. The teachings touch on areas such as: The Mind and Emotions, Karma, Rebirth, Love & Compassion, The Nature of Reality.
The schedule includes different methods of meditation and discussion groups. A typical day begins at 6:00 am and finishes with an evening meditation at 7.30 pm. During the day you will be expected to assist with the cleaning and upkeep of the center by doing Karma yoga jobs. If the retreat is a 10 day retreat the last two days are comprised of intensive meditation to afford you the chance to put into practice what you have learned. For shorter retreats the schedule is the same except there are no two day intensive meditations. On this retreat you will learn how to apply various teachings in order to increase peace, happiness and compassion in your daily life.
All participants are required to remain silent for the duration of the retreat except during discussion groups or Q&A sessions of which there is usually one per day apart from the last two days of intensive meditation.
- Your wonderful English speaking tour hostess Lisa.
- Transfers to and from Delhi international airport.
- Transfers from Delhi to McCleod Ganj and back to Delhi. (This is a 12 hour ride, so if you prefer to take a one hour flight from Delhi to Dharamsala you can and simply meet us there but this flight would not be included in the trip pricing).
- Transfers from McCleod Ganj to Buddhist Meditation Centre and back to McCleod Ganj.
- 2 nights accommodation in Delhi (sharing unless single room requested, the standard is budget).
- 11 nights bed & breakfast in McCleod Ganj (sharing unless single room requested)
- 8 nights dormitory accommodation at the Tushita Meditation Centre.
- Suggested donations by Buddhist Meditation Center to cover cost of dorm accommodation and food. The food provided is dinner on day 1, 3 meals day 2 to 7, and breakfast and picnic lunch on day 8 of the retreat.
- Dinner evenings of Cultural exchange program.
- Breakfast & lunch when traveling on day 2 & 20
- Personal expenses
- Visa and passport fees
- Travel insurance
- International & domestic flights
- Train fares
- Airport transfers, taxes and excess baggage unless specified
- Meals other than those specified
- Optional activities and sightseeing
- Donation for Street Life by Street Kids tour
Keep in Mind:
Accommodations: At the Buddhist Meditation Center the accommodation is in dorms. These can either be a 4 or 10 person basic dorm depending on what is available at the time of check-in.
Food: Three meals per day of a vegetarian diet which is a mix of Indian, Tibetan and Western are provided. Special dietary requirements are not accommodated at the center due to the large volumes of people participating in the courses. Meals tend not to contain meat, fish, eggs, radish, onions or garlic and if they do will be labelled as such.
Please note: ANYTHING on our itinerary can change at short notice especially with the nature of India, but if that happens we will do our best to substitute something else equally wonderful.
Regarding your Visa:
Please go online and apply for your visa for India at: www.indianembassy.org/visa.php. When you click the visa link you will be taken to Travisa Outsourcing the people who will assist you for your online application. You are going to need a passport picture of yourself in JPEG form to upload for the application. It will cost around $89.00 USD plus Fed-Ex fees which you can do right online. It is quite easy if you follow the directions EXACTLY!